Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Johnny, Candy, Johnny, Candy, Candy...JOHNNY.

So, there's this song...and it's the hardest damn song I've *ever* had to learn, in this show: "Johnny and Me". I thought "Bukowsical's" crazy listing of a bajillion words was hard but this...It's basically her monologue(almost word for word!) to Ben from the movie, in song form. From the absence of rhyme to the crazy range, I want to personally thank Matt Conner and Stephen Gregory Smith for making me completely doubt myself as a performer, haha ;) . (This blog thing won't let me link the video, so use the URL under the picture if you're curious...)

WHY ARE THE NOTES SO HIGH, JOHNNY??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUow4amwuM



ANYWAY, a challenge is a good thing. And stretching my range is a good thing. I just hope I don't break all the glass in the theater and subsequently, people's souls and ears, whilst I do it.

In other news, I get an awesome little ditty called "Music Box" (using the actual song from the music box in the movie stretched into a full song). Since she's absolutely bonkers from the trauma of being attacked by a man trying to eat her, losing her brother, being chased by cannibals, and stumbling into a house with a dead person upstairs- she really focuses on a few key phrases...Johnny...and candy. This is a particularly creepy tune where she's trying to make sense of what the hell is happening. A song in the key of WTF, if you will.



We have rehearsed all of the group numbers, and though the jarring changes in tempo and counting can be a struggle, you notice that it really pulls the audience in all the directions that the characters are going through. They've all been thrown into this situation and are scared, frantic, and desperate and the music conveys that. In short...it's pretty rad.

Sarah (Helen) and I have been working on our final concept for the costumes and are about ready to search and destroy! Scott wants us to keep the whole look very natural. As much as we'd love to put everyone in psychedelic colors and patterns- these are just a bunch of squares trying to stay alive. 



By the way, have you all started working on your costumes for Halloween? Because, I'm going to be honest...if I don't see people in costumes through-out this run; Barbra might just change the script and start biting people herself.

Sweet, spooky dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment