Thursday, October 3, 2013

"I ran away. He never caught up."

I've given a WHOLE LOTTA thought to what I would do in an apocalypse. And my friends, knowing how much I love the "zombie genre" are always asking me, "what is your plan?" Usually people say something to the extent of "go to Walmart and hunker down" or "I have a whole supply of necessities and guns in my basement" or "screw it, it's my time to zombie shine." My answer is essentially, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA. I always think about the main thing: I have too many people I care about. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. I would be trying to keep track of too many people and probably die in the process, haha. Not to mention the fact that I have no sportsman-like skills and the aim of a blind baby, but I digress.

How has this not happened already, then?

The thought of major loss in these horror stories is always what gets to me. The sudden and horrifying death of people in your life. That's why the situation between Barbra and Johnny is so potent to me. We make jokes about how useless and weak Barbra is in this show at rehearsal, but think about it: she has lost her brother. He was murdered in front of her by a crazed stranger. That is messed up. I told our stage manager (our WONDERFUL stage manager), Gabe, that singing her songs are always really cathartic to me when I've had a bad day. But, really they are cathartic no matter what kind of day I've had. There's a lot of crap thrown at you in this day and age, and you don't really realize how much it builds up in your psyche until you just let it all out. I get to let it out in the form of Barbra. I mean, I feel we are all like her, sometimes. We are faced with tragedy, heart break and fear all the time and sometimes it's just too much to take and you are left lost, alone, and frozen.

This is what you all look like at the Apple store.
On a lighter and more nervous note, TECH is upon us! GAH! WHY DOES IT NEVER FEEL LIKE YOU'VE HAD ENOUGH TIME! *shakes in boots*Our incredible and and most efficient set/lighting designer, Rob, has miraculously already had the set completely done and lit! Amazing! (One of ) my favorite parts of the process is seeing the lights and band. OMG. SO MUCH EXCITE. The uncertainty of the dialogue and lyrics amongst the actors is starting to wane and the vibe is really starting to hit everyone. There are some great scenes with tension that mount to these fights that just epitomize what people do in this situation: panic. They panic with the feeling of a loss of control and personalities and opinions not only clash, but can become dangerous. It's great! :D




We also had our first 2 run throughs with the cutest and most vicious little zombie you ever did see, Pheobe (Karen, Harry and Helen's "injured" daughter). She showed us her ghoulish acting chops and guys...you should be excited. I shall say no more!

ONWARD, UNDEAD PEOPLES, TO TECH WEEKEND!

Happy spooky hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment