Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Locked in a cage, staring at the ceiling...

Oh, WOE, WOE, WOE, WOOOE is how I've felt lately and I need to get the hell over it. I literally walked around the house yesterday singing "Misery". What a sad sack.

Pepper Baby Mama is about to get frealz for a second here...I've been going through a lot of "stuff" in my life lately and sometimes that can be hard to leave at the door step for a rehearsal. I have often found myself really distracted and unfocused and I hate it. "Damn you brain! Y U HAV SO MANY FEELINGS?!" But, I suppose that's what makes us barrel of theatre monkeys so interesting to watch. We gotta whole lotta emotions up in here and who wants to watch Ben Stein on stage? Nobody, that's who. (Now, imagine him as Harold Hill- BAH HA!) Thing is, the closer we get to opening of CB (yikes!) the more I need to swoop in on old Pepper here.

I'm loud. It's no secret. Anyone who has been within 100 feet of me knows this and often this is why I'm cast. Type cast, as it were. But, I have a problem of going into character voices I don't quite want to use, haha. My go-to is what I call my "Lucy Van Pelt"...I've only played her twice and I will never be rid of her. It's this nasal trumpet that comes from the back of my throat and sometimes Pepper take a Lucy turn. Interesting what your voice finds to be "comfortable". Lucy is my comfort. I don't have to be Marcy, I hide behind her. She's doubly obnoxious and I have an excuse for looking like a jack ass on stage. As much as a brat as she is, Pepper is a lot more real and I'm having a harder time keeping her on queue. My voice is taking on my emotional state lately....up in the clouds one minute and down in the depth of "what the fuck am I doing" the next.

 Eff this.

Stuff is coming together. It's rad. It's awesome. It gives me happy butterflies. I was able to use my bare minimum carpentry skills to help with the set the other day. My favorite quite of the day was "Okay! Here's the stage for Turkey Point!"- Scott Schoonover. Something about that ONE little phrase made me jump up and down and clap my hands...then dance on the platform. This makes it REAL. Tangible. My other favorite element of the day was Scott, our director, perusing through us with our hammers and drill guns, talking about the show and other musicals, then making me blush by asking personal questions and laughing at his accomplishment *blushes and runs away*.  I love being involved in as much as the production process as I can. It strengthens that bond with that piece of art you've helped create, though I didn't do much...I was happy to lend a hand. This show is going to be OFF THE DEMENTED CHAIN.

I love this cast. They are all too amazing. My favorite aspect of joining a new production is the relationships you find in each cast member. Some, you have more of a connection with than others, but there are SO many dynamics with an ensemble. It's really cool to watch who clicks with who and how you see that manifest on stage. It's not really something you can experience as an audience member, but as an actor it's awesome. I love these people. I can't start to think of the end, yet, because then the sad butterflies creep into my big, fake, preggo tummy. The beginning and ending of each show is scary. I'm scared of something new and if I am going to do my best. Then I'm scared of losing great people in my life and "the end".

As much bull honky that may be going on in my life, I know that I can some to rehearsal, get some hugs and smiles, maybe a smack on the butt and a joke, a shoulder if I need one, and get right to what we are all passionate about. It makes things seems okay for a bit. It make bringing this story to life worth it. It makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment