Saturday, January 14, 2012

Upper class? Up her ass.

Last night was a BLAST. It was the first time we've read through the script and the songs in their entirety. Holy crap this show is funny. I mean, I knew it from the songs, but hearing the script out loud- my "squee" meter went up to 11. I'm SO stoked for this.  Ya'll are in for a treat.

So, last night wasn't the best vocally. I know I can sing what I've been given. I know I can. I've done it. I just tend to get all self-conscious at rehearsal and bail on the higher notes. I over think and when I start to do it, my brain goes "NOT TODAY, BITCH" and I get all squeaky. If I could address that nasty little gremlin in my brain who tells me I suck, for a second, I would like to say "knock it off, dillhole". I am much more confident with the Teardrop harmonies. I'm quickly totally falling in love with Sarah and Chrissy. We have a lot of fun together and I think our different voices mesh well. Sarah's rasp gives Hatchet Face some serious grit and Chrissy gives Wanda some kickin sass.We even had some Drape bonding time with the boys last night after rehearsal. Oh, yeah. This was meant to be.

The cast was really fired up and we were laughing at every turn. I know I've mentioned it, but it's cool to see that everyone is as endeared with the material as you are. I adore it. I am blown away by the talent in the group. Every seemed to have a natural take on the words and lyrics. I also have to mention our Dupree, Ari. He. Is. Tearing. It. UP. I get little giggle chills when he sings. His runs are astronomical and he's hilarious. Just wait.

Scott always brings along a big box full of relevant resource materials for the show. He now has one full of 1950's films and documentaries. Ryan and I took a look at "Jailhouse Rock". Gonna say it. Elvis acts like a little bitch in this movie. I always say I don't care how hot a guy may be, if he's a jerk, I want NONE of it. And he was making himself UH-GLY in this movie. Well done, really. I just will never understand those leading ladies who let them treat her like shiz and then get all swooney.  But, I digress.

Oofta. Does that man have some sex appeal. I never really understood all the uproar about his swinging hips on TV, but for the first time, I GOT it. I found myself nervous giggling at his fervent twists and shakes and thought, "damn, look at him go. I do believe I'm getting the vapors." It was interesting watching him change vocally and physically through out the film. I'm paraphrasing but I think my favorite reaction from Ryan during "Jailhouse Rock" was, "Elvis is SO awkward." Haha! I don't think Ryan can pull much personality tips from "Vince Everett", but that slightly pouty, tortured dream boat persona(not to mention those sweet moves and vocal kicks) could definitely inspire. Plus, it's good to observe the environment of that time.

The idea that we are only the SECOND group to take on this show is really sinking in for me. I believe some of my cast mates mentioned this in their blogs. I'm the second Pepper! That's incredible. And because there isn't too much information from the first performance, we are completely re-structuring and doing a fresh take. It's such a unique opportunity! I feel super friggin lucky and honored.

Abiento, darlings.

I leave you with some hip swivels.

No comments:

Post a Comment